Saturday, February 18, 2012

Two Wheel Adventure

"are you ready?" he asks me as he's fitting my helmet on my head. "yes!" i jumped, smiling cheek to cheek, excited to try something new and adventurous. as i wiggled my fingers into the small black, leather gloves i couldn't help but feel a little tense. but despite all nervousness, there was no way i was going to pass this opportunity up. and with that mindset, i carefully climbed on the back of his motorcycle and held on tight ready to enjoy the ride.

just 36 hours ago i had envisioned myself in las vegas in a suite at the cosmopolitan, recovering from what potentially could've been an epic night of dancing to the beats of benny benassi. on the contrary, i found myself in berkeley, california on a very warm sunday afternoon in the back of a friend's motorcycle. the weekend had already been full of spontaneity that i didn't believe that there was room for surprises left. i was clearly mistaken.

we pulled out of the driveway and started the long road into the city. my heart was racing and my hands were tense clutching on to the bike for dear life. we passed the first bridge as i gaze over to the bay with the sun pounding down on us. too nervous to enjoy the scenery, i kept glancing at the cars in front of me reaffirming that both of our safety was in good hands. he caresses my leg to ease my nerves but it doesn't immediately go away. we soon pass a road full of grassy hills, trees, animals, and forests; nothing like city life at all. the view was so beautiful that i stopped questioning where he was taking me and eventually reached our first destination. half moon bay. 

i was worried that the san francisco gloom would ruin my weekend. however, just for that day, the sky had cleared and the sun was shining as bright as it could be. he signals for me to get off the bike and i take my helmet off and can only admire the beautiful sight that lay in store for me. he and i walk next to the water as we head towards a bunch of big flat rocks towards the bigger waves. he climbs and hikes to find the perfect rock for us to lay on. sand, the ocean waves, and the sun. as we were watching people surf, i lay my head on his chest and close my eyes, listening to the pounding of his heart and the waves crashing on the rocks. the setting and environment was too romantic, way too good to be true. 

after a couple of hours we head home... but this time we go up to the mountains around the city. as we're ascending up the hills, i see the ocean beneath me and the sun setting on the horizon. with ease, i find myself holding on to him this time instead of the bike... his one hand caressing mine from time to time to calm my nerves. 

as we're drifting away from the coast of the beach into the city, he starts going faster and faster to try to get me home before the colder breeze sets in. he notices how cold my hands were underneath my gloves and places both of my hands in his jacket pockets.  we leave the sun set behind me and enter the dark night watching the lights of the city fill the sky ahead, this transition magnificently timed as we're on bay bridge. 

despite the cold breeze engulfing my body, i huddle closer to him for warmth and am in awww at the spectacular view. at that very moment, i thought about how happy i was, not only to be unexpectedly able to cross this off my bucket list but perfectly content where i'm at in my life. despite not knowing how the weekend panned out, i had a strong feeling that this was exactly where i needed to be. my heart felt lighter and open to new warmth, faith, and love. i've never felt stronger, wiser, and happier being alone.

the road back was quicker than expected, i'm freezing by the time we get back to the apartment. we change into something more comfortable, i wrap the thick blanket he gave me and lay on the couch while he makes both of us tea. no one was home at this point except for us... he's sitting on the recliner and i'm sitting on the couch as if it was just another day. unexpectedly, those couple of hours brought me an immense appreciation for nature, adventure and spontaneity. little did he know, it was one of the best valentines dates i've been on in such a long time & it meant the world to me. for that, i thank you.

image
Bucket List #85: Ride A Motorcycle


No comments:

Post a Comment